Years ago there was a product called, from what I remember, ClearMesh that
was very cool. It had 3 FSO
links built into that automatically tracked and found new mesh sites. It
had an ethernet port that could be
fed fiber or to a customer. Range was something like 200M and cost ~$7,000
each. Could probably be done
a cheaper and more reliable with 24/60GHz. They were hyping it for a couple
years and I think it only was
on the market for less then a year before they went belly up.