One of the most popular questions/product requests I get is about tower
light monitoring.

It used to be that I sent people toward one of the off-the shelf tower
light monitors with a contact output and then monitored that with a base
unit.  Unfortunately it seems that most of these only work with
incandescent, and most people are moving toward LED lights.   So I'm
getting a lot of 'I haven't found one which will work with led lights'.

I know that many lighting controllers do some monitoring and have relay
outputs for failures.   Recent feedback from customers seem to indicate
that this is a lot like the fox watching the henhouse, in that often the
lighting controller is the problem, especially with newer led lights which
don't fail as much.

As a result of the above, I'm looking at doing a tower light monitor.   But
I need some help understanding the reality of lighting towers, especially
since things have changed over the years, and some older towers I'm sure
are grandfathered under an older lighting/painting scheme.

The first question is related to flashing lights on a tower:  The FAA
circular seems to state that all lights on a tower should flash together.
 Are all tower lights all designed so that all of the flashing lights on a
tower blink at the same time?   If so, it makes monitoring them a lot
easier, since there's only two lighting levels to monitoring.

I'm also wondering about control systems, and how they are wired.   My
google searches seem to indicate that most towers with blinking lights have
a control box at the bottom which controls the lights on the tower (and
sometimes provide a indicator of a certain type of failure).   Is this
common?  What other systems are out there?

I am also intrigued by the daytime lighting systems, and probably need to
think about monitoring these as well.  I'm assuming these are strobes.
 Anyone install one of these?

I'm also curious about what type of power consumption the newer LED lights
have, and if measuring AC current is really even practical on these.

Any other information anyone can point me toward would be appreciated.

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>