Can you think of any reason why simply measuring consumed current and
making sure it matches an expected pattern (I.E. toggling between all-on
and "blink") with the correct frequency and during the right time of day
wouldn't work with any of the systems you've put in?

Of course with a contact or two input as an additional input to catch the
failures the controller knows about?