From: Lewis Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:13 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Teach me about tower lights

I would think consumed current would work as long as the time resolution is
fine enough, which I am sure yours is. Those LED flashes don't last long. I
have asked one of our suppliers we buy the most from to have an engineer give
me the specs so you can see what you are dealing with. In addition, many use
some very large caps on the older strobe models so you don't see any difference
on the incoming side. I haven't seen any of the LED models with big caps. I
wouldn't think you would need to monitor before the controller as your draw
should definitely be different than normal, at least at night, when the
controller isn't working correctly.

The biggest issue I would think would be how to get that current initially.
With all the different configs out there and different manufacturers the number
of combinations become enormous. Some designs actually have the controller
inside the top beacon (for some ungodly reason). There are a lot of different
LED designs with different numbers, quality, and lumen of LED's.

Maybe some kind of learning routine where you set it to learn for 1 minute, it
watches the pattern of draw, then sets that as normal for that time period,
then it does the same thing at midnight. I guess midnight would work except
nearer the poles. After that I would give your day/night timings a good bit of
slack as some are not the best at mounting their photocells in good locations.
Maybe 30 minutes to an hour each way of sun set/rise.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:21 PM Forrest Christian (List Account)