On 12/19/17 10:00 AM, Carl Peterson wrote:
We are about to sign a contract on a 10G wave and I'm trying to figure out what the wan phys should be and whats the difference. I'm assuming we would want lan phys.

Does this make sense and would we just use normal 10G optics on each end?

If you're getting a true wave it's neither LAN nor WAN PHY. You will get a wavelength, literally. I recently ordered some 10G waves which were specified as requiring 1310nm, 1330nm, and "1550nm reaching 80km" optics.

If it's LAN PHY you're getting plain old 10GbE Ethernet like with a switch. If it's WAN PHY you're getting SONET and the carrier will probably use OC-192c/STM-64 to carry it.

~Seth