That makes a lot more sense... I (and Paul too, I assume) must be reading
the spec sheet wrong. I thought buffer mode was referring to when it was
running on battery (I assumed that because of something else I read further
down the spec sheet), but it must mean something else if it actually does
put out 48.0v.

Output voltage / current
– Normal Mode
24 VDC mode: