I wonder how often this kind of thing works to just scare people off
though... I assume they'd eventually lose an actual lawsuit, but even if
the new guys know that, there's a good chance that they're not going to
want to go through the whole mess of getting sued, and just try to keep out
of their way.

Personally, I think asking nicely to try to avoid interfering with the
stuff you have up would be a lot more effective...