Hi Hussein,

I'm just back yesterday from my second summer doing
fieldwork whose ultimate goal is documenting *and*
describing a minority African language (Badiaranke) of
which I am definitely not a native speaker, but which
I do by now speak. So: first of all, you definitely do
not need to be a native speaker in order to document
or describe a language, but you do need to work
closely with native speakers (this perhaps goes
without saying). Not all native speakers would be good
describers of their language or have means to document
it, nor are all linguists good at fieldwork - good
language description takes a combination of a good
understanding of linguistics, good elicitation and
interpersonal skills, and good organizational and
writing skills on the part of the linguist (who may or
may not be a native speaker) as well as good
linguistic instincts (e.g. grammaticality judgments,
ability to explain fine differences in meaning, etc.)
on the part of the native speaker(s), in addition to
good command by both parties of a contact language if
the linguist is not a native or proficient speaker of
the language being studied. In my case, I started my
fieldwork as a total non-speaker of Badiaranke but a
fluent speaker of Pulaar, which enabled me both to
communicate with my consultants and other villagers
and to learn Badiaranke more quickly, since it is a
related language and has some morpholological and
syntactic similarities to Pulaar. But the fact that I
now speak Badiaranke enables me to pick up on lots of
data in naturally occurring speech, as well as on
relevant topics of conversation (e.g. the
sociolinguistic status of the language), that I might
have missed otherwise; it also greatly speeds up my
transcription and translation of texts, helps me make
contacts in villages, enables me to understand what is
happening around me everyday and at meetings, etc.
etc. So no, you do not have to be a native speaker,
but it is ALWAYS a good idea to learn to speak the
language you are working on.

As for the difference between documentation and
describing the language's phonetics, phonology,
morphology, syntax, semantics... as comprehensively as
possible, in terminology appropriate for the intended
audience (e.g. are you writing for other linguists
and/or for the native speaker community and/or for
non-linguist non-speakers?). Language description is
important to linguistic science, by providing data and
description of the language that help inform, and
possibly change, theories of what language is and how
it works. At the same time, it can be valuable for
communities where the language is endangered, and non-
or semi-speakers want to learn to speak the language.

It is possible to describe a language without
documenting it, but language documentation -
especially of endangered languages - is extremely
important as well. Documentation involves the
collection of many, many "texts" - speech in as many
genres as possible, e.g. conversations, stories,
songs, plays, monologs - both in audio (and perhaps
video) and written format (transcribed, glossed, and
translated). Ideally these recordings (and
transcriptions, etc.) should be archived somewhere
such that they will not be lost. Description, if well
done, is all well and good, but if a language dies
out, description without documentation will not allow
either linguists or the (former) speech community to
hear (and read) the language as it was spoken, and to
understand what it was really like.

I have much more to say on this subject, but I'm
extremely jetlagged and not able to write more now. If
you have any more questions or requests for
elaboration, I'd be very happy to answer them.

Good luck!

Rebecca

> > Dear Friends,
> >   Do I need to be a native or fluent speaker of a
> language in order
> to start documenting and describing it?What is the
> difference between
> describing and documenting a language?I understand
> that any effort in
> language description is a step forward in
> documenting it.
> >   Yours,
> >   Hussein Saeed.
> >

> Yahoo! Groups Links