Hi all,

A couple of points:

Most linguistics books and papers I've seen for the African languages
I work with every rarely use the established orthography, rather they
tend to write the language using the IPA.

As to whether Yoruba tones are linguistic annotations or not. That
will depend on who you speak too, and ultimately official

> The problem of ambiguity can easily be solved by using an unambiguous writing
> style. For example the ff made up English sentence is considered bad writing
> style even though it is grammatically correct:
>

>  Refuse? Yes, refuse.

Not that mabiguious of an axample as an exhortation. Resolving
ambiguity through unambiguous writing style seems to be counter
productive. In the sense that one one hand it drives a larger wedge
between orality and literacy. So that sentence patterns and writing
style is further divoorced form the spoken language.

And form the point of view of the written word as an artistic form,
you create a stilted, artificial writing style. Poetry, poetic prose,
satire and other forms require the ambiguity you recommend removing
form the written language.

The equivalent wold be trying to write English poetry in "plain"
English. Doesn't work.

Writing style is contextual. It depends on what you are writing. In
most European languages different types of docuemnt may have different
writing styles. I'd use a different writing styles for training
materials or government reports, or academic papers or prose or
poetry.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham