Purely speculating in the following muse:

I think the advantage of writing is as a memory aid--assuming a finite memory recall ability, it is more efficient to recall an index of texts than the contents of the text itself. Writing allows us to file away detail and only have to remember that "there's a book on the subject" whenever we need to recall that detail.

Orality doesn't allow for that since there's no stored memory apart from the collective memory. For there to be a "neo-oral civilization" with comparable recall ability to literate civilizations, we should be able to store massive amounts of oral knowledge organized in a sensible index ( e.g. the title of a book is an index to the contents of the book). And this index must itself be oral in order to be accessible as accessible as its content. The closest I've come to seeing this idea in practice is the interactive voice response system where you can call a telephone number and find out answers to particular queries by following a series of oral prompts.

It would be nice if the equivalent of paper for audio were invented so that storing audio is a simple as writing on a scrap of paper.

End of muse.

More realistically, the reason I'm interested in spell-checking is to make a workflow like the following possible.

English text => Standardized African language => Variant languages => speech from text. Computers unfortunately are incredibly dumb and can be thrown off more easily by spelling inconsistencies than humans.
50 cedis,
paa.kwesi