The statement that unsupervised GAN's are the way of the real brain is an
absurdity. Human beings do not yet know how the brain works.
I do believe that the mind must have some way to project objects (like
images of objects) onto other objects (like other images of objects or
within an object space), but I cannot say absolutely that that is how the
brain works. It is part of my theory or belief about how the mind works.
This idea that I call 'projection' is like generation, so I totally agree
that the use of generation and discrimination must be important methods for
us to use (or consider using) in AI programs. I can imagine a CNNets that
are able to recognize cats, boxes, jumping, and what out is might be able
to generate combinations of such things in order to guess what a 'cat
jumping out of a box' might look like. That makes a great deal of sense to
me. But notice how I used combinations of discrete objects in order to
imagine how a computer program might generate such a thing. The demand that
we only use CNNs and GANs in order to fill the theory in seems pretty weak
to me. The fact is that Deep Learning combines discrete steps with CNNs and
everything that we are considering uses discrete methods in detailing what
is to be learned and the steps that need to be taken to modify the nets.
Therefore a more sophisticated theory of AI is really pointing at hybrids
(of some sort). From there it makes perfect sense to ask if there is
anything that might be done to make the seams a little more seamless and
the gaping gaps a lot less gaping.