I think Vernor Vinge meant a singularity in the mathematical sense. At
least that was my interpretation of his paper. If each doubling or n-fold
increase of progress takes half the time, then that's exactly what you get.
We can't say it won't happen because a singularity is an event horizon on
our view of the future. We aren't smart enough to look ahead more than one
advance in intelligence, or else we could just skip to that step. Our
understanding of physics could be wrong. Historically it always has been.

But I don't believe infinite progress will happen, and neither do a lot of
people. So we co-opt the word singularity to mean something weaker. We did
the same with AI, which is why we need a new term (AGI) to mean what AI
originally meant.