Alpha is the square of the difference between Stoney units and Planck
units. Stoney units are based on the unit electric charge instead of
Planck's constant and are 11.7 times smaller.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

Alpha was once thought to be rational (1/137) but all we know for sure is
that it is computable, unlike the vast majority of real numbers, because it
exists in a finitely computable universe. That doesn't mean there is a
faster algorithm than the ~10^122 qubit operations since the big bang, even
if we discover that the code for the universe is only a few hundred bits.