https://arxiv.org/pdf/2309.12083.pdf
"Varying fundamental constants meet Hubble"
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/2309.12083.pdf>
Abstract Fundamental physical constants need not be constant, neither
spatially
nor temporally. – This seeming simple statement has profound implications
for a
wide range of physical processes and interactions, and can be probed
through a
number of observations. In this chapter, we highlight how CMB measurements
can
constrain variations of the fine-structure constant and the electron rest
mass during the cosmological recombination era. The sensitivity of the CMB
anisotropies to
these constants arises because they directly affect the cosmic ionization
history and
Thomson scattering rate, with a number of subtle atomic physics effects
coming together. *Recent studies have revealed that variations of the
electron rest mass can indeed alleviate the Hubble tension, as we explain
here*. Future opportunities through
measurements of the cosmological recombination radiation are briefly
mentioned,
highlighting how these could provide an exciting avenue towards uncovering
the
physical origin of the Hubble tension experimentally.