The appendix discusses consciousness, self awareness, emotions, and free
will, but the authors are using strictly behavioral definitions for these
terms so they can legitimately model them. They model emotions as having 3
dimensions of pleasure, arousal, and dominance. An agent capable of acting
to increase its pleasure has free will. Self awareness means passing the
mirror test, recognizing your reflection as you. Collectively, these things
make up their definition of consciousness.

It seems reasonable. They ignore the metaphysical aspects, like whether you
have an immortal soul that goes to heaven. (You don't). They don't confuse
the issue with whether we have a moral obligation to not harm conscious
agents. (There is no such rule. Actions are unethical if they make you
uncomfortable. That's why cockfighting is illegal in all 50 US states even
though we are OK with killing a billion chickens per week for food).