Hyperon is a complete rewrite of OpenCog in 2023. It is still based on
AtomSpace, a structured graph representation of probabilistic logic. The
history of Ben Goertzel's work is like this:
1997-2001: Webmind.
2001-2008: Novamente.
2008-2023: OpenCog.
2023-present: Hyperon.

OpenCog open sourced Novamente. It consisted of DeStin, a toy
neural network that could read single digits, MOSES, an evolutionary
learner, ReLex and NatGen, a manually coded natural language parser and
sentence generator, and AtomSpace that was supposed to tie it all together
but never did. There was never any knowledge base. AtomSpace ran into
severe scaling difficulties when they tried to distribute it across a
network.

Hyperon is still a probabilistic logic graph but now their work at
Singularity Net is Omega, an LLM with a Hyperon graph inserted into the
middle layers. So far he hasn't presented any results that show it works
better than a plain LLM. Last week I commented on a guest post by Ramez
Naam "Where's the intelligence explosion". In Ben's latest post, he
responded to the same article that he believes his Omega Hive could launch
a fast takeoff singularity by taking humans out of the recursive self
improvement loop. I disagree, but you can decide for yourself.
https://bengoertzel.substack.com/p/how-we-could-actually-get-a-near

When I wrote my 2008 distributed AGI proposal, I estimated it would cost $1
quadrillion, so I made no attempt to build it. My time is better spent on
small language model research, specifically judging the Hutter prize
competition. In the last few months there has been a huge surge of progress
using transformers with the help of AI generated code. I am happy to report
a huge 4% improvement as of today. It is open source and has a well written
description of how it works, and it runs on a PC. I'm happy that the
project I started 20 years ago is now paying off.
https://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html

I don't mean any disrespect to Ben's life work. AGI is hard.

-- Matt Mahoney, [email protected]



On Mon, Oct 5, 2026, 7:02 PM John Rose via AGI <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Monday, October 05, 2026, at 4:19 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
>
> I was on the OpenCog mailing list for awhile before I got booted off for
> being overly critical of the approach instead of contributing to the code
> base. It doesn't matter now because the project was abandoned after a
> decade of effort without producing anything.
>
>
> That is a false statement. I believe it got rolled into Hyperion
> SingularityNET/Artificial Superintelligence Alliance with various
> components being used in other projects. That’s how it works in the
> software world, projects change, migrate and people gain knowledge and
> experience. As a former disgruntled list poster you shouldn’t use this one
> to slander others and their work. That’s different from badmouthing Mag 7
> or something like Clippy or Siri. You need to personally investigate the
> situation. How may times here have you posted that link to your purported
> "AGI" project that's been dead in the water for god knows how long, 50x? Go
> count. (https://mattmahoney.net/agi2.html) I even recently offered
> experiential technical knowledge which didn't even register in your head.
> Think before you spit out disparaging false statements.
> *Artificial General Intelligence List <https://agi.topicbox.com/latest>*
> / AGI / see discussions <https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi> +
> participants <https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/members> +
> delivery options <https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/subscription>
> Permalink
> <https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/Tc0ac46f2c46f6874-Mf6f59df118f69f52424fb3ac>
>

------------------------------------------
Artificial General Intelligence List: AGI
Permalink: 
https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/Tc0ac46f2c46f6874-M682529a8f08462f2ad25e4a1
Delivery options: https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/subscription

Reply via email to