Hi Pablo,

What you are talking about in the abstract is Solomonoff Induction.

The standard book:

Title: Kolmogorov Complexity and Its Applications, 2E
   By: Li and Vitanyi
  Pub: Springer-Verlag

A "universal sequence predictor" is the algorithm you are looking for,
which as you correctly surmised is an integral part of statistical
compression engines.  There are difficulties with what you want to do,
which I will let you discover on your own (its educational). :-)

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]