> I whipped this up this afternoon in case any of your are
> interested.  I tried to gear it towards functionally relevant
> features.  Enjoy
>
> Reference document: The Hippocampal navigational system
> by Brad Wyble

Brad,

Thanks for the very interesting summary!

On the face of it, these place maps are very reminiscent of attractors as
found in formal "attractor neural networks."  When multiple noncorrelated
maps are stored in the same collection of neurons, this sounds like multiple
attractors being stored in the same formal neural net.

About the ability to study 200 neurons at once: With what time granularity
can this be done?  Do there exist time series of the activity of these 200
neuron, both during map learning and during map use?  Analyzing this
200-dimensional time series would be interesting.  (Not that I have time to
do it .. but it would be interesting.)  We are currently using Novamente to
analyze coupled time series in another biological domain (gene expression
data).  If there is decent time series data, it could be interesting to
codevelop a grant application with someone to see what Novamente can find in
this data....

On a more philosophical note, I like the idea that the machinery used for
place mapping in rats is similar to the machinery used for more abstract
sorts of "mapping" in humans.  Indeed, this reflects the point someone made
last week on this list, regarding the fact that humans have much better
reasoning ability in familiar domains than unfamiliar ones.  Maybe one of
the reasons is that when we know a domain well we figure out how to map the
domain into a physical-environment metaphor so we can use some "physical
mapping machinery" to reason about it.  But some familiarity is needed to
create the map into the physical-environment metaphor.  I think this is what
someone suggested last week -- and your essay makes me like the hypothesis
even more.

If this is the case, it is a good example of the maxim "Your strengths are
your weaknesses."  Because some domains are not going to be effectively
mappable into physical-environment domains.  A good example is the quantum
world, or the world of molecular biology (related to the quantum world).  We
are bad at reasoning about these, unless we learn a formal framework and use
it.  Because our intuitive modes of inference are based too heavily on
physical-environment metaphors, and machinery tuned for manipulating these
metaphors....

But the nice thing about the physical-metaphor approach to complex reasoning
is that it is a heuristic way of trimming down huge search spaces.  Without
this approach, other heuristics for inference control and
complex-concept-formation are needed...

I am reminded a bit of some management-consulting ideas developed by my
friend Johan Roos, see e.g.

http://www.seriousplay.com/images/landscapes.pdf

His work explores the notion of "knowledge landscapes", and the use of the
physical-landscape metaphor in human thinking about business.

-- Ben G