Brad,

Just to pick a point, Eliezer defines Seed AI as "Artificial
Intelligence designed for self-understanding, self-modification, and
recursive self-enhancement".  I do not agree with you that pure Seed AI
is a know-nothing baby.

Presently Cyc has no machine learning capability, aside from Rapid
Knowledge Formation dialogs to elicit symbolic and lexical knowledge from
subject matter experts.

However among Cyc's rich vocabulary are axioms for reflection, thus Cyc
can answer questions about its own state.  Furthermore, Cyc has vocabulary
for Agentive behavior.  But we are only just now beginning to interpret
axioms in Cyc's Knowledge Base to provide Cyc's behavior.  It directly
follows that Cyc will be able to modify its own behavior by asserting
goal, task, method and operation axioms in its KB.

I subscribe to the deliberative, causal goal structure principles of
Friendly AI, according to Eliezer, and intend that Cyc's agentive behavior
follow this model.

Cycorp's approach is from the other end of the symbolic logic vs. machine
learning dimension from Novamente, with what I hope is a common
understanding of what the middle of this dimension consists of.  We know
that Cyc lacks machine learning capabilities and we want to add them on
top of the rich background knowledge already in the KB.  A major goal is
to learn from reading, and we already have several thousand links from
Cyc concepts into WordNet 1.6 synsets.  WordNet is the open lexical
knowledge base developed at Princeton.

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the view of Cycorp.

-Steve

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Brad Wyble wrote:

> Ok, let's get rolling then.
>
> Ben, here's a question.  To what extent are parts of Novamente hand built ala Cyc?
>
> I can easily imagine a dimension here.  At one end is Cyc, which is carefully and
> meticulously constructed by people.  The design work is two fold, creating the
> structure within which to store information, and then the inputting of the
> information.   At the other end of the dimension is pure Seed AI.  A know-nothing
> baby.   You put it together, hit the power button and let it grow(admittedly it
> would require tuning as it matured).
>
> Where would Novamente fall along this dimension?
>
> What domains of knowledge do you expect to have to explicitly create by hand?
>
> -Brad
>

> -------
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
> please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org