--- Brad Wyble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Evolution is limited by mutation rates and generation times.  Mammals
> > need from 1 to 15 years before they reach reproductive age.  Generation
>
> That time is not useless or wasted.  Their brains are acquiring
> information, molding themselves.  I don't think you can just skip it.

I think a key point is that evolution isn't really trying to produce
organisms of higher intelligence.  It is just something that sometimes
occurs in some evolutionary niches as a byproduct of the process.
Often a dumb organism is better than a larger more resource expensive
but intelligent one.

In comparison, if we were to try and evolve intelligence, using an
appropriate computable measure of intelligence of course, we could
use this measure to direct the evolution, i.e. by using it as the
objective function of a GA.  In terms of resource consumption, this
should be exponentially faster at achieve intelligence than what
occurred in nature.

> And while fitness functions for simple ant AI's are (relatvely) simple to
> write and evaluate, when you start talking about human level AI, you need
> a very thorugh competition, involving much scoial interaction.  This takes
> *time* whether simulated time or realtime, it will add up.
>
> A simple model of interaction between AI's will give you simple AI's.  We
> didn't start getting really smart until we could exchange meaningful
> ideas.

Yes, simple AIs need relatively little to evaluate their intelligence.
So the first stages of evolving intelligence would be much easier in this
respect.  However, once you get to something like a rat's brain, you
already have much of the structure needed for a human's brain already
worked out.  I think something similar will be the case with an AI.
That is, the design changes needed to go from a medium level intelligence
to a high level intelligence are not great, much of it is just a problem
of scale.

Of course I can't really prove much of this without actually doing it.
Firstly, I need to create a proper measure of machine intelligence,
which is what I am currently working on...

Cheers
Shane

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

subscription,