IMO, humans **can** reprogram their top-level goals, but only with
difficulty.  And this is correct: a mind needs to have a certain level
of maturity to really reflect on its own top-level goals, so that it
would be architecturally foolish to build a mind that involved
revision of supergoals at the infant/child phase.

However, without reprogramming our top-level goals, we humans still
have a lot of flexibility in our ultimate orientation.  This is
because we are inconsistent systems: our top-level goals form a set of
not-entirely-consistent objectives... so we can shift from one
wired-in top-level goal to another, playing with the inconsistency.
(I note that, because the logic of the human mind is probabilistically
paraconsistent, the existence of inconsistency does not necessarily
imply that "all things are derivable" as it would in typical predicate
logic.)

Those of us who seek to become "as logically consistent as possible,
given the limitations of our computational infrastructure" have a
tough quest, because the human mind/brain is not wired for
consistency; and I suggest that this inconsistency pervades the human
wired-in supergoal set as well...

Much of the inconsistency within the human wired-in supergoal set has
to do with time-horizons.  We are wired to want things in the short
term that contradict the things we are wired to want in the
medium/long term; and each of our mind/brains' self-organizing
dynamics needs to work out these evolutionarily-supplied
contradictions on its own....  One route is to try to replace our
inconsistent initial wiring with a more consistent supergoal set; the
more common route is to oscillate chaotically from one side of the
contradiction to the other...

(Yes, I am speaking loosely here rather than entirely rigorously; but
formalizing all this stuff would take a lot of time and space...)

-- Ben F

On 12/3/06, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > You cannot turn off hunger or pain.  You cannot
> > control your emotions.
>
> Huh?  Matt, can you really not ignore hunger or pain?  Are you really 100%
> at the mercy of your emotions?

Why must you argue with everything I say?  Is this not a sensible statement?

> > Since the synaptic weights cannot be altered by
> > training (classical or operant conditioning)
>
> Who says that synaptic weights cannot be altered?  And there's endless
> irrefutable evidence that the sum of synaptic weights is certainly
> constantly altering by the directed die-off of neurons.

But not by training.  You don't decide to be hungry or not, because animals
that could do so were removed from the gene pool.

Is this not a sensible way to program the top level goals for an AGI?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303