On 2/6/07, gts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am suggesting that a non-omniscient player need not necessarily be
bilked in the sense meant by De Finetti; that is, it needn't be forced to
lose automatically due to dutch books made against it.

I'm not talking about dutch book, I'm talking about the following (quoted
from Ben's original post, emphasis added):

"You _must_ set the price of a promise to pay $1 if S is true, and $0 if
S is false. You know that your opponent will be able to choose either
to buy such a promise from you at the price you have set, or require
you to buy such a promise from your opponent, still at the same price."

In your life on Mars example, maybe I believe there is (in some sense that's
valid in some contexts) a probability of 0.1, but if a small furry creature
from Alpha Centauri lands in his flying saucer and says "greetings
Earthling, I'm surveying this solar system, just got through planet 4 and it
was thirsty work, hope there are some good pubs here on planet 3, and by the
way let's make a bet on whether there's life over on planet 4," I can
decline to bet _at all_.

Dutch book is a different question.