On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:27:22 -0500, Jef Allbright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You would have to assume that statement 2 is *entirely* contingent on
statement 1.

I don't believe so. If statement S is only partially contingent on some other statement, or contingent on any number of other statements, then simple coherency demands only that we assign the p of S to be less than the p of any of those other statements on which S is contingent. It makes no difference for the sake of coherency how many of those other statements are known or in memory, nor does it matter whether our assigned probabilities match "reality".

I think coherency is probably a necessary but not a sufficient condition for intelligence. I hope it is not really outside the range of what is possible in AI.

-gts