Jiri> Mark,
>> VNA..can simulate *any* substrate.

Jiri> I don't see any good reason for assuming that it would be
Jiri> anything more than a zombie.
Jiri> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/zombies/

Zombie is another concept which seems to make perfect intuitive sense,
but IMO is not actually well defined.

If sensations correspond to the execution of certain code in a
decision making program (the nature of the sensation depending on the
coding) then I claim that everything about sensation and consciousness
can be parsimoniously and naturally explained in a way consistent with
everything we know about CS and physics and cognitive science and
various other fields.

But in this case, a zombie that makes the same decisions as a human
would be evaluating similar code and would thus essentially have the
same pain.