And here's the human psuedocode:

1. Hold Knife above flame until red.
2. Place knife on arm.
3. a. Accept Pain sensation
    b. Scream or respond as necessary
4. Press knife harder into skin.
5. Goto 3, until 6.
6. Pass out from pain

Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Below is a program that can feel pain.
It is a simulation of a programmable
2-input logic gate that you train using reinforcement conditioning.

/* pain.cpp

This program simulates a programmable 2-input logic gate.
You train it by reinforcement conditioning.  You provide a pair of
input bits (00, 01, 10, or 11).  It will output a 0 or 1.  If the
output is correct, you "reward" it by entering "+".  If it is wrong,
you "punish" it by entering "-".  You can program it this way to
implement any 2-input logic function (AND, OR, XOR, NAND, etc).
*/

#include
#include
using namespace std;

int main() {
  // probability of output 1 given input 00, 01, 10, 11
  double wt[4]={0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5};

  while (1) {
    cout << "Please input 2 bits (00, 01, 10, 11): ";
    char b1, b2;
    cin >> b1 >> b2;
    int input = (b1-'0')*2+(b2-'0');
    if (input >= 0 && input < 4) {
      int response = double(rand())/RAND_MAX < wt[input];
      cout << "Output = " << response
           << ".  Please enter + if right, - if wrong: ";
      char reinforcement;
      cin >> reinforcement;
      if (reinforcement == '+')
        cout << "aah! :-)\n";
      else if (reinforcement == '-')
        cout << "ouch! :-(\n";
      else
        continue;
      int adjustment = (reinforcement == '-') ^ response;
      if (adjustment == 0)
        wt[input] /= 2;
      else
        wt[input] = 1 - (1 - wt[input])/2;