Mark,

VNA..can simulate *any* substrate.

I don't see any good reason for assuming that it would be anything
more than a zombie.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/zombies/

unless you believe that there is some other magic involved

I would not call it magic, but we might have to look beyond 4D to
figure out how qualia really work.

But OK, let's assume for a moment that certain VNA-processed
algorithms can produce qualia as a side-effect. What factors do you
expect to play an important role in making a particular quale pleasant
vs unpleasant?

Regards,
Jiri Jelinek