On 10/6/07, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In my use of GoL in the paper I did emphasize the prediction part at
> first, but I then went on (immediately) to talk about the problem of
> finding hypotheses to test.  Crucially, I ask if it is reasonable to
> suppose that Conway could have written down the patterns he *wanted* to
> see emerge, then found the rules that would generate his desired patterns.
>
> It is *that* question that is at the heart of the matter.  That is what
> the paper was all about, and that issue is the only one I want to
> defend.  It is so important that we do not lose sight of that context,
> because if we do ignore that (as many people have done), we just go
> around in circles.

Is it reasonable:  I doubt precisely stating your goal is enough to
reach it.  (that is, unless you're Oprah and believe very strongly in
The Secret)

I just realized your question is if Conway could have written two
frames of cells, then reverse-engineered the transformations that move
from A to B.  That transformation would be absolutely correct in
getting from A to B, however as a candidate for the Universal ruleset,
it would have to apply to every transformation from B to C or X to Y.
Probably this candidate would prove unusable outside the fragile case
for which is was written.   I can write a very simple loop to output
the records of a table with known fields, it takes much more
consideration to generalize the solution to any number of unknown
fields.

Consider states T1 and T5.  Use the same transformation hypothesis
generator employed in the paragraph above.  Given four steps from T1
to T5, there may have been one complete transform and three static
states or four 'normal' transformations.  How can a T1 to T5
transformation rule be written?  Consider a cyclic behavior with a
period of 4 - the transformation rule would have to observe a static
state because it's observation moments are not granular enough to
detect the changes.  A glider with a period below the observation
interval would give rise to a transformation rule describing, "Given
this collection of cells, the next observation in open space it will
appear to have moved one unit left"  Of course that rule requires open
space, the number of configurations of impact with other cells during
the observation interval give rise to an explosion of possibility.
The hypothesis generation algorithm will have a computational
complexity that is orders of magnitude larger than the classical GoL
rules making observations/computes at each 1 unit of time.

To pull back from the simplistic GoL example, consider the planetary
motion example.  I think I better understand the rules prediction you
were talking about - the true planetary motion rules are as
unavailable to Kepler as an observer in the GoL world.  So by
observation, he detects a regularity to the moon's path around the
earth and works out a theory for why that happens.  Then he uses the
theory to predict the future state of the moon - and he's right.  Has
he found the absolutely Truth in planetary motion?  No.  He has found
a good enough approximation for the purpose of predicting local
observed phenomenon.  Is there an extra term in the True formula, for
which our local observation conveniently sets a value of 1 in a
multiplication process?  Then this predictive function has limitations
on use.  it is still sufficiently useful when the hidden variable
maintains the value of 1 (for our locally observable universe)  Think
of a multidimensional motion function that has been curried down from
higher dimensions, leaving only those dimensions Kepler could observe.

I initially thought we were discussing the patterns than can arise
from examining the actual rules, rather than trying to discover the
rules from observation of states.  In the context of AGI research, I
think the discovery of explanations is a much more interesting
problem.  I think resource limitations make brute force "compute every
possible permutation" approaches to hypothesis generation absolutely
unfeasible.  Even with only a few known parameters, the combinatorial
explosion will cripple the largest machine we have - but with an
unknown number of parameters, the task of finding every permutation is
impossible.  So the ability to reason about classes and test
hypothesis by proof (without requiring exhaustive search) is important
to working intelligence.  I feel there is a great deal of value in
reasoning about AGI as a class of computation rather than a single
solution or program.