On 10/7/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[rest of post and other recent ones agreed with]

> It remains to be seen whether replicating Life patterns could evolve to become
> intelligent.

No formal proof, but informally: definitely no. Our universe has all
sorts of special properties that make intelligence adaptive, that
Conway's Life doesn't have. Intelligence would be baggage in that
universe; best survivors will be bacterialike fast self-replicators
(maybe simpler than bacteria for all I know: it might turn out to be
optimal to ditch general assembler capability).