Mike Tintner wrote:
Charles,

I don't see - no doubt being too stupid - how what you are saying is going to make a categorizer into more than that - into a system that can, say, go on to learn various logic's, or how to build a house or other structures or tell a story - that can be a *general* intelligence.
I wouldn't say you were being stupid. Nobody knows how to build an AGI yet. And I'm envisioning the current system of NARS as only a component, albeit an important component. (I don't know how Pei Wang is envisioning it.)

But if you study the input system from the eye (overview...I have no detailed knowledge), you discover that the initial sensory stimuli are split into several streams that are processed separately (possibly categorized) and then recombined. Sometimes something very important will jump out of the system, however, and cause rapid reactions that the consciousness never becomes aware of noticing before acting on. (N.B.: This "being aware of before acting on" is often-to-usually an hallucination.) Clearly some categorizer has noticed that something was VERY important. As such, apparently some kind of categorizer is very important. My suspicion is that most categorizers work with small databases in restricted domains, acting as black-box functions...though function isn't the right word for something that can return multiple results.

What struck me about the overall discussion of NARS' logical capabilities, firstly, was that they all depended - & I think you may have made this point - on everyone's *common sense* interpretations of inheritance and other relations and the logic generally. In other words, any logic is - and always will be - a very *secondary* sign system for both representing and reasoning about the world. It is a highly evolved derivative of more basic, common sense systems in the brain - and, like language itself, has continually to be "made sense of" by the brain. (That's why I would suspect that all of you, however versed in logic you are, will, while looking at those logical propositions, go fuzzy from time to time - when your brain can't for a while literally make sense of them).

A hierarchy of abstract/ concrete sign systems, grounded in the senses, is - I believe - essential for any AGI and general learning - and, NARS, AFAICT, lacks that.

Secondly, I don't see how what you are saying will give NARS the ability to *create* new rules and strategies for its activities, (that are not derived from existing rules). AFAICT it simply applies logic and follows rules, even though they include rules for modifying rules. It cannot, like Pei or Bayes have done, create or fundamentally extend logics. If so, it is still narrow AI, not AGI.

(There is, I repeat, a major need for a philosophical distinction between AI and AGI - in talking about the area of the last paragraph, I think we all flounder and grope for terms).

Mike Tintner wrote:
Charles H:as I understand it, this still wouldn't be an AGI, but merely a
categorizer.

That's my understanding too. There does seem to be a general problem in the field of AGI, distinguishing AGI from narrow AI - philosophically. In fact, I don't think I've seen any definition of AGI or intelligence that does.

But *do* notice that the terminal nodes are uninterpreted. This means that they could be assigned, e.g., procedural values. Because of this, even though the current design (as I understand it) of NARS is purely a categorizer, it's not limited in what it's extensions and embedding environment can be. It would be a trivial extension to allow terminal nodes to have a type, and that what was done when a terminal node was generated could depend upon that type.

(There's a paper called "wang.roadmap.pdf" that I *must* get around to reading!)

P.S.: In the paper on computations it seems to me that items of high durability should not be dropped from the processing queue even if it becomes full of higher priority tasks. There should probably be a "postponed tasks" location where things like garbage collection and database sanity checking and repair can be saved to be done during future idle times.