On 10/11/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Vladimir,
>
> No I'm sure the problem-solving isn't all down to recasting in terms of
> physical models. But can you think of a scientific problem area, where such
> recasting isn't involved?

I just tried to provide my reason for considering it a mirage: even if
problem-solving doesn't involve physical reasoning, it can be
introspectively recast as sequence of spatial representations.
Domain-specific concepts involved in problem-solving can easily be
placed on spatially arranged schemata, but reasoning is correctly
carried out because of knowledge of these concepts' relations and
implications, not simply because of spatial setting in which they are
arranged. It's equivalent to calling mathematics ink-reasoning because
it's historically performed with help of remarks made by ink on paper
and any result can be written down by ink on paper.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]