To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Do the inference rules.. P.S.

I think that building a "human-like" reasoning system without /visual/ perception is theoretically possible, but not feasible in practice. But how is it "human like" without vision? Communication problems will arise. Concepts cannot be grounded without vision.

It is impossible to completely "understand" natural language without vision. Our visual perception acts like a disambiguator for natural language.

To build a human-like computer algebra system that can prove its own theorems and find interesting conjectures requires vision to perform complex symbolic manipulation. A big part of mathematics is about aesthetics. It needs vision to judge which expressions are interesting, which are the simplified ones. Finding interesting theorems, such as the "power rule", the "chain rule" in calculus requires vision to judge that the rules are simple and visually appealing enough to be communicated or published.

I think that computer programming is similar. It requires vision to program easily. It requires vision to remember the locations of the symbols in the language.

Visual perception and visual grounding is nothing except the basic motion detection, pattern matching parts of similar images etc. Vision /is/ a reasoning system.

IMO, we already /have /AGI--that is, NARS. AGI is just not adapted to visual reasoning. You cannot improve "symbolic" reasoning further without other sensory perception.

Edward W. Porter wrote:

Validimir and Mike,

For humans, much of our experience is grounded on sensory information, and thus much of our understanding is based on experiences and analogies derived largely from the physical world. So Mike you are right that for us humans, much of our thinking is based on recasting of experiences of the physical world.

But just because experience of the physical world is at the center of much of human thinking, does not mean it must be at the center of all possible AGI thinking -- any more than the fact that for millions of years the earth and the view from it was at the center of our thinking and that of our ancestors means the earth and the view from it must forever be at the center of the thinking of all intelligences throughout the universe.

In fact, one can argue that for us humans, one of our most important sources of grounding – emotion -- is not really about the physical world (at least directly), but rather about our own internal state. Furthermore, multiple AGI projects, including Novamente and Joshua Blue are trying to ground their systems from experience in virtual words. Yes those virtual worlds try to simulate physical reality, but the fact remains that much of the grounding is coming from bits and bytes, and not from anything more physical.

Take Doug Lenat’s AM and create a much more powerful AGI equivalent of it, one with much more powerful learning algorithms (such as those in Novamente), running on the equivalent of a current 128K processor BlueGene L with 16TBytes of RAM, but with a cross sectional bandwidth roughly 500 times that of the current BlueGene L (the type of hardware that could be profitably sold for well under 1 million dollars in 7 years if there were are thriving market for making hardware to support AGI).

Assume the system creates programs, mathematical structures, and transformations, etc. and in its own memory. It starts out learning like a little kid, constantly performing little experiments, except the experiments -- instead of being things like banging spoons against a glass -- would be running programs that create data structures and then observing what is created (it would have built in primitives for observing its own workspace), changing the program and observing the change, etc. Assume it receives no input from the physical world, but that it has goals and a reward system related to learning about programming, finding important mathematical and programming generalities, finding compact representations and transformation, creating and finding patterns in complexity, and things like that. Over time such a system would develop its own type of grounding, one derived from years of experience -- and from billions of trillions of machine opps -- in programming and math space.

Thus, I think you are both right. Mike is right that for humans, sensory experience is a vital part of much of our ability to understand, even of our ability to understand things that might seem totally abstract. But Validmir is right for believing that it should be possible to build an AGI that was well grounded in its own domain, without any knowledge of the physical world (other than as the manifesting of bits and bytes).

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12
Exeter, NH 03833