> From: J Storrs Hall, PhD [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I'd be interested in everyone's take on the following:
>
> 1. What is the single biggest technical gap between current AI and AGI?
> (e.g.
> we need a way to do X or we just need more development of Y or we have
> the
> ideas, just need hardware, etc)

I just see the difference as a LOT more lines of code. AGI for software
implementation is a lot of code. AI is smaller chunks here and there.

> 2. Do you have an idea as to what should should be done about (1) that
> would
> significantly accelerate progress if it were generally adopted?

More development time and resources. Some AGI designs may work and others, say
2nd generation AGI designs (can I call them that?) like Novamente may be real
close to working with their actual mirrored implementation in software. Other
AGI designs may need significant testing and adjusting when development is
performed.

> 3. If (2), how long would it take the field to attain (a) a baby mind,
> (b) a
> mature human-equivalent AI, if your idea(s) were adopted and AGI
> seriously
> pursued?

Human AGI is difficult to estimate. Many highly profitable pre-AGI or non-human
AGI systems may be more of a justifiable business expense.

> 4. How long to (a) and (b) if AI research continues more or less as it
> is
> doing now?

It is difficult to see more than a few years down the road as there are too
many variables. The economy and marketplace usually works things out in its own
way. I think universities should throw more resources at the problem perhaps in
coordination with corporations.

John