John

From: Benjamin Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just to reiterate my opinion: I think all this theorizing about definitions
and tests and so forth is interesting, but not necessary at all for the
creation of AGI.  Any more than, say, the philosophy of quantum mechanics
is necessary for building lasers or semiconductors or SQUIDS.

Of course philosophical and conceptual work can be instrumental in guiding
practical work ... but my strong feeling is that we can progress straight to

powerful AGI right now without first having to do anything like

-- define a useful, rigorous definition of intelligence
-- define a pragmatic IQ test for AGI's

etc.