Joshua Fox wrote:
Surely Marvin Minsky -- a top MIT professor, with a world-beating reputation in multiple fields -- can snap his fingers and get all the required funding, whether commercial or non-profit, for AGI projects which he initiates or supports?

Joshua

No: he was outflanked by the arrival of the "Neat" AI crowd some 15-20 years ago. Essentially, the type of AI he is interested in was declared to be a thing of the past (aka "Scruffy") and not "scientific", and therefore that kind of stuff became sidelined.

You could say he was Drexlered.

He also has a reputation for being inspirational, but vague.

Richard Loosemore