Deb Roy at the MIT media lab, and his The Human Speechome Project, are
supposed to have garnered the following resources for a major AI task.
Deb Roy is a very, repeat very, bright guy, at this point in time probably
much brighter than Minsky.

        more than 3,000 Seagate SATA drives, more than 300 Hammer Z-Rack
storage enclosures, more than 100 Marvell-based 10G/GbE switches, and
about 400 blade processors. High-performance storage I/O anticipates the
processing of 700 terabytes of data during each 12-hour overnight
analytical run

The following blurbs give some idea of what this hardware is to be used
for

         The Media Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
is developing what the university claims is one of the world’s largest
data storage arrays.

        The storage array is being constructed for the Media Lab's
ambitious Human Speechome Project. The array will be used to collect and
analyze video and audio data for a research project designed to better
understand early childhood cognitive development, according to MIT.

        This project focuses on the acquisition and analysis of massive
audio-video recordings of human activity in home situations. We are
creating a unique infrastructure for efficiently storing and managing
millions of hours of audio and video, semi-automated meta-data creation,
and statistical machine learning of cross-modal patterns. Applications
include computational modeling of situated language acquisition and other
social/behavioral activities, personal memory augmentation, audio/video
content management, and audio/video analysis for security.

        The goal of the Cognitive Machines group is to create systems that
engage in fluid, situated, meaningful communication with human partners.
We seek to understand and model the processes by which words are grounded
in the physical world as a result of embodied perception, action, and
learning. These models are applied to create situated human-machine
interfaces. We also use our computational models as a source of
predictions and possible accounts for a number of cognitive phenomena
including aspects of children's language acquisition, concept formation,
and attention.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12