I love Deb Roy and think his work is wonderful, but one thing he does NOT
have is a coherent design for an AGI ...

As I understand it, what he's doing now is aimed at gathering loads of
speech data, for later analysis...

His prior work on robotics and symbol grounding was also really cool, but
seemed to be restricted to stuff like grounding the word "apple" in sets of
robot-vision-inputs corresponding to pictures of apples....  He wasn't
dealing with grounding of abstract relationships, prepositional
relationships, etc.   Which IMO is an illustration of the point that dealing
with robotics can be a huge hassle in itself, even if the AI issues one is
investigating are pretty simple....  (Although the rewards of dealing with
real robots are also obvious ...)

-- Ben G