On Nov 2, 2007 8:24 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- "YKY (Yan King Yin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Although it is possible to "fully integrate" NL into AGI, such an
> endeavor
> > may not be the highest priority at this moment.  It can give the AGI
> better
> > linguistic abilities, such as understanding human-made texts or
> speeches,
> > even poetry, but I think there're higher priorities than this (eg,
> learning
> > how to do math, how to program, etc).
>
> Computers are already pretty good at math.

That's not really accurate, Matt!

Computer theorem-provers are way worse than any human mathematician,
except at very special types of theorems.

Computers are good at high school math, w/ the exception of word problems.

Arguably, computers are currently better at NLP than at theorem-proving,
which
is the essence of modern mathematics...

-- Ben