Tintner wrote:
> Your paper represents almost a literal application of the idea that
> creativity is ingenious/lateral. Hey it's no trick to be just
> ingenious/lateral or fantastic.

Ah ... before creativity was what was lacking.  But now you're shifting
arguments and it's something else that is lacking ;-)

> You clearly like producing new psychological ideas - from a skimming of your
> work, you've produced several. However, I didn't come across a single one
> that was grounded or where any attempt was made to ground them in direct,
> fresh observation (as opposed to occasionally referring to an existing
> scientific paper).

That is a very strange statement.

In fact nearly all my psychological ideas
are grounded in direct, fresh **introspective** observation ---
but they're not written up that way
because that's not the convention in modern academia.  To publish your ideas
in academic journals, you need to ground them in the existing research
literature,
not in your own personal introspective observations.

It is true that few of my psychological hypotheses are grounded in my own novel
lab experiments, though.  I did a little psych lab work in the late
90's, in the domain of
perceptual illusions -- but the truth is that psych and neuroscience
are not currently
sophisticated enough to allow empirical investigation of really
interesting questions about
the nature of cognition, self, etc.  Wait a couple decades, I guess.

>In terms of creative psychology, that is consistent with
> your resistance to producing prototypes - and grounding your
> invention/innovation.

Well, I don't have any psychological resistance to producing working
software, obviously.

Most of my practical software work has been proprietary for customers; but,
check out MOSES and OpenBiomind on Google Code -- two open-source projects that
have emerged from my Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC work ...

It just happens that AGI does not lend itself to prototyping, for
reasons I've already tried
and failed to explain to you

We're gonna launch trainable, adaptive virtual animals in Second Life sometime
in 2008....  But I won't consider them real "prototypes" of Novamente
AGI, even though in
fact they will use several aspects of the Novamente Cognition Engine
software.  They
won't embody the key emergent structures/dynamics that I believe need
to be there to have
human-level cognition -- and there is no simple prototype system that
will do so.

You celebrate Jeff Hawkins' prototype systems, but have you tried
them?  He's built
(or, rather Dileep George has built)
an image classification engine, not much different in performance from
many others out there.
It's nice work but it's not really an AGI prototype, it's an image classifiers.
He may be sort-of labeling it a prototype of his AGI approach -- but
really, it doesn't prove anything
dramatic about his AGI approach.  No one who inspected his code and
ran it would think that it
did provide such proof.

> There are at least two stages of creative psychological development - which
> you won't find in any literature. The first I'd call simply "original"
> thinking, the second is truly "creative" thinking. The first stage is when
> people realise they too can have new ideas and get hooked on the excitement
> of producing them. Only much later comes the second stage, when thinkers
> realise that truly creative ideas have to be grounded. Arguably, the great
> majority of people who may officially be labelled as "creatives", never get
> beyond the first stage - you can make a living doing just that. But the most
> beautiful and valuable ideas come from being repeatedly refined against the
> evidence. People resist this stage because it does indeed mean a lot of
> extra work , but it's worth it.  (And it also means developing that inner
> faculty which calls for actual evidence).

OK, now you're making a very different critique than what you started
with though.

Before you were claiming there are no creative ideas in AGI.

Now, when confronted with creative ideas, you're complaining that they're not
grounded via experimental validation.

Well, yeah...

And the problem is that if one's creative ideas pertain to the
dynamics of large-scale,
complex software systems, then it takes either a lot of time or a lot
of money to achieve
this validation that you mention.

It is not the case that I (and other AGI researchers) are somehow
psychologically
undesirous of seeing our creative ideas explored via experiment.  It
is, rather, the case
that doing the relevant experiments requires a LOT OF WORK, and we are
few in number
with relatively scant resources.

What I am working toward, with Novamente and soon with OpenCog as
well, is precisely
the empirical exploration of the various creative ideas of myself,
others whose work has
been built on in the Novamente design, and my colleagues...

-- Ben G