Mike,

I think you are going to have to be specific about what you mean by "irrational" because you mostly just say that all the processes that could possibly exist in computers are rational, and I am wondering what else is there that "irrational" could possibly mean. I have named many processes that seem to me to fit the "irrational" definition, but without being too clear about it you have declared them all to be just rational, so now I have no idea what you can be meaning by the word.

Richard Loosemore

Mike Tintner wrote:
Richard:This raises all sorts of deep issues about what exactly you would mean
by "rational".  If a bunch of "things" (computational processes) come
together and each contribute "something" to a decision that results in
an output, and the exact output choice depends on so many factors coming
together that it would not necessarily be the same output if roughly the
same situation occurred another time, and if none of these things looked
like a "rule" of any kind, then would you still call it "rational"?If the answer is yes then whatever would count as "not rational"?

I'm not sure what you mean - but this seems consistent with other impressions I've been getting of your thinking.

Let me try and cut through this: if science were to change from its prevailing conception of the human mind as a rational, computational machine to what I am suggesting - i.e. a creative, compositional, irrational machine - we would be talking of a major revolution that would impact right through the sciences - and radically extend the scope of scientific investigation into human thought. It would be the end of the deterministic conception of humans and animals and ultimately be a revolution of Darwinian proportions.

Hofstadter & co are absolutely not revolutionaries. Johnson-Laird conceives of the human mind as an automaton. None of them are fundamentally changing the prevailing conceptions of cognitive science. No one has reacted to them with shock or horror or delight.

I suspect that what you are talking about is loosely akin to the ideas of some that quantum mechanics has changed scientific determinism. It hasn't - the fact that we can't measure certain quantum phenomena with precision does not mean that they are not fundamentally deterministic. And science remains deterministic.

Similarly, if you make a computer system very complex, keep changing the factors involved in computations, add random factors & whatever, you are not necessarily making it non-rational. You make it v. difficult to understand the computer's rationality, (and possibly extend our conception of rationality), but the system may still be basically rational, just as quantum particles are still in all probability basically deterministic.

As a side-issue, I don't believe that human reasoning, conscious and unconscious, is remotely, even infinitesimally as complex as that of the AI systems you guys all seem to be building. The human brain surely never seizes up with the kind of complex, runaway calculations that y'all have been conjuring up in your arguments. That only happens when you have a rational system that obeys basically rigid (even if complex) rules. The human brain is cleverer than that - it doesn't have any definite rules for any activities. In fact, you should be so lucky as to have a nice, convenient set of rules, even complex ones, to guide you when you sit down to write your computer programs.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;