Richard: In the same way computer programs are completely
neutral and can be used to build systems that are either rational or
irrational.  My system is not "rational" in that sense at all.

Richard,

Out of interest, rather than pursuing the original argument:

1) Who are these programmers/ systembuilders who try to create programs (and what are the programs/ systems) that are either "irrational" or "non-rational" (and described as such)?

When I have proposed (in different threads) that the mind is not rationally, algorithmically programmed I have been met with uniform and often fierce resistance both on this and another AI forum. My argument re the philosophy of mind of cog sci & other sciences is of course not based on such reactions, but they do confirm my argument. And the position you at first appear to be adopting is unique both in my experience and my reading.

2) How is your system "not rational"? Does it not use algorithms?

And could you give a specific example or two of the kind of problem that it deals with - non-rationally? (BTW I don't think I've seen any problem examples for your system anywhere, period - for all I know, it could be designed to read children' stories, bomb Iraq, do syllogisms, work out your domestic budget, or work out the meaning of life - or play and develop in virtual worlds).