On 14/12/2007, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But, we're still quite clueless about how to, say, hook the brain up to
> a calculator or to Google in a useful way... due to having a vastly
> insufficiently detailed knowledge of how the brain carries out
> cognitive operations...

Well the brain is very adaptable and I expect if were connected to a
calculator or google for an extended period the user would eventually
learn how to operate these systems merely by thinking.  It might take
a significant amount of time and training, and the interface mapping
to the electrode arrays may need to be tweaked appropriately (as with
the Dobelle artificial vision system) but it seems like a feasible
kind of enterprise.

However, I'm not expecting to see the widespread cyborgisation of
human society any time soon.  As the article suggests the first
generation implants are all devices to fulfill some well defined
medical need, and will have to go through all the usual lengthy
testing procedures before they're generally accepted.  Only after the
initial medical phase which could last several decades will brain
implants be sufficiently inexpensive and be considered sufficiently
safe that people start to think about using these things as a
lifestyle, work or leisure enhancement rather as cosmetic surgery is
today.