Pei,

I have a few thoughts about your paper.

Your classification scheme for different types of intelligence definition seems to require that the concepts of "percepts," "actions" and "states" be objectively measurable or identifiable in some way.

I see this as a problem, because the concept of a "percept" (say) may well be so intimately connected with what intelligent systems do that we could never say what counts as a percept without making reference to an intelligent system.

For example, would it count if an intelligent human "perceived" an example of a very abstract concept like (e.g.) "hegemony"? Would [hegemony] be a percept, or would you only allow primitive percepts that are directly picked up by an intelligence, like oriented line segments?

More precisely, I think that "percepts" like [hegemony] are indeed bona fide percepts, but they are very unlikely to be defined without making reference to the systems that developed the concept. So [hegemony] does not have a closed-form definition and the best we can do is to say that among a large population of human intelligences, there is a point in concept-space that is given the word-label "hegemony" but if you were to look inside each individual mind you would find that the same name is actually a unique cluster of connections to other concepts (each of which, in turn, has its own subtle differences among all the different individuals).

The same story can be told about "actions", and internal "states".

But if there is only a loose correspondence (across individuals) between terms labelled with the same name, then how can we even begin to think that the act of comparing states, percepts and actions between computers and humas (as you do in your paper) would be a good way to dissect the different meanings of "intelligence"?

The only way out of this problem would be to define some normative central tendency of the Ps, Ss and As across the population of actual intelligent agents (i.e. human minds, at this time in history) and then move on from there. But of course, that would be tantamount to declaring that intelligence is basically defined by what human minds do.

My point here is not to ask questions about how percepts map onto one another (across individuals), but to say that the very question of which things count as percepts cannot be answered without looking at the chunks that have actually been formed by human beings. To put this in stark relief: suppose we came across an alien intelligence that did not use oriented line segments at a very low level of its visual system, but instead used pairs of blobs, separated by different distances across the retina. Eveything it perceived above this level would then be various abstractions of that basic visual building block. This alien mind would be carving nature along different joints - parsing it very differently - and it might well be that it simply never constructs high level concepts that map onto our own concepts, so the two sets of percepts (ours and theirs) are just not comparable. They might never "perceive" an example of hegemony, and we might never be able to "perceive" an instance of one of their concepts either. How would we then - even in principle - start talking about whether the "same" percepts give rise to the same iternal states in the two systems? The "percepts" would depend too much on the actual structure of the two different minds. The 'percepts" would not be objective things.

I see no way out of this, because I cannot see any way that the abstract notion of *objective* percepts, states and actions can be justified. The validity of any proposed objective scheme can be challenged, and so long as it can be challenged, the notion of percepts, states and actions cannot be used as a starting point for a discussion of what "intelligence" actually is.

What do you think?

Richard Loosemore