On Feb 17, 2008 4:48 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1)
> While in my own AI projects I am currently gravitating toward an approach
> involving virtual-worlds grounding

And I think that's a very good idea.

> as a general rule I don't think it's obvious
> that sensorimotor grounding is needed for AGI.

Well I wouldn't say it's obvious - it took me a good while to figure
it out, after all :) Just true. Then again, AI is a hard problem; very
few true things about it are obvious.

> The human path to AGI is not
> the only one.

Oh indeed - as I said before, I'm not expecting anything like
human-equivalent AGI in the foreseeable future. But I still think
grounding is central for making useful AI programs. It's an example of
the heuristic that applies to software in general: Internal
computation is easy. Interfaces are most of the difficulty and most of
the value. I don't _want_ to believe that, mind you. Internal
computation is much more fun. But reality's rubbed my nose in itself
on that one too many times for me to ignore.

> 2)
> I think that, potentially, building a KB could be part of an approach to
> "solving the grounding problem."  Encode some simple knowledge, instruct
> the system in how to ground it in its sensorimotor experience ... then encode
> some more (slightly more complex) knowledge ... etc.   I'm not saying this is
> the best way but it seems a viable approach.  Thus, even if you want to take
> a grounding-focused approach, it doesn't follow that fully solving the
> grounding
> problem must precede the creation and utilization of a KB.  Rather, there
> could
> be a solution to the grounding problem that couples a KB with other aspects.

I agree, that might be a viable approach. But the key phrase is
"Encode some simple knowledge, instruct the system in how to ground it
in its sensorimotor experience" - i.e. you're _not_ spending a decade
writing a million assertions and _then_ looking for the first time at
the grounding problem. Instead grounding is addressed, if not as step
1, then at least as step 1.001.

> My feeling is that sensorimotor grounding is an "Extremely Nice to Have"
> whereas a KB is just a "Sort of Nice to Have", but I don't have a rigorous
> demonstration of that....

Heck, I don't have a rigorous demonstration of any nontrivial fact
about any program longer than ten lines, except that any working
program provides a rigorous existence proof that the methods it used
_can_ solve the problem it solves.