On 2/17/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is no similar plan for OpenNARS. When the time comes, it
> probably will get its knowledge, in a mixed manner, (1) from various
> existing sources of formatted knowledge, including Cyc, (2) from the
> Internet, using information retrieval/extraction, data mining, etc.,
> (3) through a natural language interface, (4) through a sensorimotor
> interface, (5) by human tutoring. The last approach will require
> manually coded knowledge (commonsense or not), but in a much smaller
> scale. See http://nars.wang.googlepages.com/wang.roadmap.pdf

Thanks, I'll read it and give you some feedback later.  But I'm interested
in how AGI can be achieved collaboratively, and sharing KBs is one
possiblity, and may be very important.  Sure, you can go it alone, but that
may not be the best choice.

> I raised this issue before: by "logical rules", do you mean inference
> rules (like "Derive conclusion C from premises A and B"), or
> implication statements (like "If A and B are true, then C is true")?
> These two are very often confused with each other, and that confusion
> has serious consequences. AGI needs plenty of the latter, but just a
> relatively small number of the former.
Sorry... I can't see the distinction.  Maybe you mean causation vs
implication?  For example, eating sweets may cause cavities, but it is not
an implication because P(cavities|sweets) != 1?

What I mean by "rule" is any formula that has variables in it.

The kind of rules I have in mind... let me give an example.  One day I
opened the microwave and saw a dish of raw fish inside.  I abductively
conclude that my mom has put a frozen fish inside to defrost it but was too
lazy to wait till it finished to take it out.  In order to do this reasoning
I need the following facts:
1.  the microwave is normally empty when not in use
2.  humans can move things around
3.  defrosting takes time
4.  waiting for the fish to defrost is boring
5.  putting the fish inside and forgeting to press the cook button is
unlikely because the 2 actions occur closely
6.  forgetfulness usually require a substantial time interval
7.  etc etc...

Obviously the current Cyc KB do not have these facts.  That's why I say more
facts are needed.

Secondly, I suspect that some "implicit rules" are needed for an inference
engine to string these facts together to form a linear proof -- if you get
my drift.  But I find it hard to explain...

YKY