On 2/18/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I raised this issue before: by "logical rules", do you mean inference
> > > rules (like "Derive conclusion C from premises A and B"), or
> > > implication statements (like "If A and B are true, then C is true")?
> >  > These two are very often confused with each other, and that confusion
> > > has serious consequences. AGI needs plenty of the latter, but just a
> > > relatively small number of the former.
> >
> > Sorry... I can't see the distinction.  Maybe you mean causation vs
> > implication?  For example, eating sweets may cause cavities, but it is
not
> > an implication because P(cavities|sweets) != 1?
>
> The best example of this difference is Carroll's Paradox --- see
> http://www.ditext.com/carroll/tortoise.html

I'm reading this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Tortoise_Said_to_Achilles
which is easier to understand, but I still don't get it.

Achilles grants to the tortoise that the "second kind of reader" may exist,
but I think this second kind of reader is absurd.

If A and B are true, then a sane person MUST admit that Z is true.  I don't
see why not?

YKY