Pei: Resolution-based  FOL  on  a  huge  KB  is  intractable.

Agreed.

However Cycorp spend a great deal of programming effort (i.e. many man-years)
finding deep inference paths for common queries.  The strategies were:
prune the rule set according to the contextsubstitute procedural code for modus
ponens in common query paths (e.g. isa-links inferred via graph
traversal)structure the inference engine as a nested set of iterators so that
easy answers are returned immediately, and harder-to-find answers
trickle out later.establish a battery of inference engine controls (e.g. time
bounds, speed vs. completeness - whether to employ expensive inference
strategies for greater coverage of answers) and have the inference engine
automatically apply the optimal control configuration for queriesdetermine rule
utility via machine learning and apply prioritized inference modules within the
given time constraints
My last in-house talk at Cycorp, in the summer of 2006, described a notion of
mine that Cyc's deductive inference engine behaves as an interpreter, and that
for a certain set of queries, a dramatic speed improvement (e.g. four orders of
magnitude) could be achieved by compiling the query, and possibly preprocessing
incoming facts to suit expected queries.   The queries that interested me were
those embedded in an intelligent application, and which could be viewed as a
query template with parameters.  The compilation process I described would
explore the parameter space with programmer-chosen query examples.  Then the
resulting proof trees would be compiled into executable code - avoiding
entirely the time consuming candidate rule search and their application when
the query executes.  My notion for Cyc's deductive inference engine
optimization is analogous to SQL query optimization technology.

I expect to use this technique in the Texai project at the point when I need a
deductive inference engine.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed
Artificial Intelligence Researcher