On 2/19/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A purely resolution-based inference engine is mathematically elegant,
> but completely impractical, because after all the knowledge are
> transformed into the clause form required by resolution, most of the
> semantic information in the knowledge structure is gone, and the
> result is "equivalent" to the original knowledge in truth-value only.
> It is hard to control the direction of the inference without semantic
> information.

I wonder how you can preserve "structural information" in NARS?

If I say "eating sweets will cause cavities" it will be translated in clause
form as
    ~ eat_sweets V cavities
so the direction of causation is lost.  If this directional info is
needed, we attach additional information to the clause.  Truth maintenance
systems do something like that.

YKY