On 2/19/08, Stephen Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Pei: Resolution-based FOL on a huge KB is intractable.
>
> Agreed.
>
> However Cycorp spend a great deal of programming effort (i.e. many
man-years) finding deep inference paths for common queries.  The strategies
were:

> prune the rule set according to the context
> substitute procedural code for modus ponens in common query paths (e.g.
isa-links inferred via graph traversal)
> structure the inference engine as a nested set of iterators so that easy
answers are returned immediately, and harder-to-find answers trickle out
later.
> establish a battery of inference engine controls (e.g. time bounds, speed
vs. completeness - whether to employ expensive inference strategies for
greater coverage of answers) and have the inference engine automatically
apply the optimal control configuration for queries
> determine rule utility via machine learning and apply prioritized
inference modules within the given time constraints
> My last in-house talk at Cycorp, in the summer of 2006, described a notion
of mine that Cyc's deductive inference engine behaves as an interpreter, and
that for a certain set of queries, a dramatic speed improvement (e.g. four
orders of magnitude) could be achieved by compiling the query, and possibly
preprocessing incoming facts to suit expected queries.   The queries that
interested me were those embedded in an intelligent application, and which
could be viewed as a query template with parameters.  The compilation
process I described would explore the parameter space with programmer-chosen
query examples.  Then the resulting proof trees would be compiled into
executable code - avoiding entirely the time consuming candidate rule search
and their application when the query executes.  My notion for Cyc's
deductive inference engine optimization is analogous to SQL query
optimization technology.

> I expect to use this technique in the Texai project at the point when I
need a deductive inference engine.

Thanks a lot for the info.  These are very important speed-up strategies.  I
have not yet studied this aspect in detail.

Can you explain what you mean by "deep inference"?

I think resolution theorem proving provides a way to answer yes/no queries
in a KB.  I take it as a starting point, and try to think of ways to speed
it up and to expand its abilities (answering what/where/when/who/how
queries).

YKY