On 2/15/08, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To me, the following two questions are independent of each other:
>
> *. What type of reasoning is needed for AI? The major answers are:
> (A): deduction only, (B) multiple types, including deduction,
> induction, abduction, analogy, etc.
>
> *. What type of knowledge should be reasoned upon? The major answers
> are: (1) declarative only, (2) declarative and procedural.
>
> All four combination of the two answers are possible. Cyc is mainly
> A1; you seem to suggest A2; in NARS it is B2.

My current approach is "B1".  I'm wondering what is your argument for
including procedural knowledge, in addition to declarative?

There is the idea of "deductive planning" which allows us to plan actions
using a solely declarative KB.  So procedural knowledge is not needed for
acting.

Also, if you include procedural knowledge, things may be learned doubly in
your KB.  For example, you may learn some declarative knowledge about the
concept of "reverse" and also procedural knowledge of how to reverse
sequences.

Even worse, in some cases you may only have procedural knowledge, without
anything declarative.  That'd be like the intelligence of a calculator,
without true understanding of maths.

YKY