Ben: Anyway, I agree with you that formal logical rules and inference are not
the
end-all of AGI and are not the right tool for handling visual imagination or
motor learning. But I do think they have an important role to play even so.

Just one thought here that is worth trying to express, although I'm still
groping with it. When we talk about "imagination" we are usually referring to
secondary and/or reflective acts of imagination.  So when you make
piano-playing movements, they are based on existing imaginative and body
knowledge of how to make those movements.

But our immediate, primary consciousness, from which that secondary knowledge
is derived, and which is the foundation of an intelligent mind, is not actually
a dissectible affair. Your (Ben) consciousness as you read this, or as you sit
at the piano about to play, is the "imovie-in-and-around-the-mind" - a
*common-sense* affair, involving
vision-hearing-touch-smell-kinaesthetic-&-every-other sense, interacting
integratedly and inseparably. Later, when you remember your actions, you can
focus reflectively on one sense at a time - just remember, for example, what
you saw, and ignore the other senses. But in reality it isn't possible to
separate the senses (as Michael Tye has pointed out). The brain - and any
intelligent mind that deals with the real world - needs the whole movie and not
just, say, vision, as well as the "i" that is continually viewing it.

No one in AGI is aiming for common sense consciousness, are they?